Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a mole removed 2 days ago. It was on the right side of

Customer Question

I had a mole removed 2 days ago. It was on the right side of the belly. Novocain was injected next to it. After the mole was removed, I noticed part of my right thigh was slightly numb. It is still slightly numb. Should I call a doctor yet?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I take zoloft and allegra. I have not seen a doctor yet.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am not sure if the numbness could be caused by the torn ligament in the right side of the lower back, which is basically healed by now, or the novocain. I have an injured brain and autism.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Any numbing medicine that was injected into the skin of the right side of the abdomen would not cause numbness in the thigh. If the numbing medicine was injected into the groin area, where the abdomen meets the thigh, then it could affect a nerve to the thigh. Was the area of injection in the groin, where the abdomen meets the thigh?

However, if there was an injury in the right side of the lower back, that could cause some pressure on the nerve to the thigh. Could you describe the back injury?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

If the numbing medicine was not injected into the groin, then numbness of the thigh would typically not be caused by an injection into the skin of the abdomen. In that situation, it would be more likely that the numbness could be due to an injury to the back, although further information about the nature of the injury would help to clarify whether numbness would be a typical symptom.