Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My doctor prescribed OTC Prilo sec for 24 days for Reflux. I

Customer Question

Hi, My doctor prescribed OTC Prilo sec for 24 days for Reflux. I stopped taking it on day 19 feating overdose and also was symptom free. After 48 hours I started getting heartburn with nausea. Is this a rebound reaction? Just took one hoping it helps. Is that ok? I am concenter about overdose. Should I switch to Zantac?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Nothing else. It's new year eve. Doctor office closed
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I don't have any other problems. I have had history of Reflux but it was 15 and a recurrence 2 years ago. The reflux was a result of anxiety which I did take only natural medicine for and I don't feel anxiety except about this Nausea and heartburn.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I think the Organic Yoghurt I had a couple of hours ago aggrevation it. I feel I may have a,mild cold too No fever
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you don't have to fear overdosing on over the counter prilosec.

severe anxiety, alcohol use, tomato sauces, fried foods, large meals, fatty meals, can cause your stomach to produce more stomach acid and heart burn.

it is fine that you go back on pilosec.