Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Last month I had a knee replacement. My Dr. prescribed

Customer Question

last month I had a knee replacement. My Dr. prescribed tramadol and oxycodone. I have not taken it together, and don't remember if he said to take the tramadol after oxycodone was used up. Can I take them together?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Yes, after a month the knee is still swollen
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no, the Dr. at the hospital knew all my medications that I was taking
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your surgery and i wish you a speedy recovery. Now coming to your question, ideally these two drugs should NOT be taken at the same time because both of them are opioids and they can worsen each others effects. The second reason they should not be used together is that because of their mechanism of actions, both of them act on slightly different pain receptors in the brain.

But in short, DO NOT use them together, if you are going to use tramadol i would advise that you use it after the oxycodone is finished. If they have to be used in a single day then they can be used UNDER the surpervision of your doctor atleast 12 hours apart but i would recommend that you start tramadol after the oxycodone is finished.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/