Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

What can you take to help with the itch from shingles, I had

Customer Question

What can you take to help with the itch from shingles
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I had a colonoscopy and showed the doctor but he said he could not help because he was an interest and to see my own doctor who is on holidays currently so no. I am taking a lot of pain medication but cortisone cream on rash.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: dont think so as have been on for years. fibromalga
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i have had severe pain in region of stomach since gall bladder removed. the doctors say i might have ulcers. took biopsy during colonoskopy but no results yet. The rash goes along nerve line from back to front on one side only
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

sorry you have shingles and have itchy skin

that GI doctor who did the colonoscopy should have been able to help you being an internist.

they should have prescribed you antiviral acyclovir creams and pills to help treat your shingles viral infection to help clear it up sooner. these antiviral agents can shorten the length of a shingles infection and help it to get better

after a shingles infection, you can still have burning or itchy nerves in the area

medications like neurontin or lyrica can help decrease burning and pain and itching after shingles infections get cleared up.

is your shingles infection getting better?