Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Our daughter broke out with hives 2 days after the

Customer Question

our daughter broke out with hives 2 days after the 11year/old vaccine booster shot, for about a year with 2 trips to emergency room, she is now 15 and the hives come back when she gets sick, but can be controlled by allegera. Is there a reason or final solution?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, 3or 4 times including a allergy specialist, just allegra at outbreak.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no, perfect health until booster shots.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your daughter and her hives.

some people are more prone to skin reactions than others when they get infections or vaccines.

often times skin hives and rashes can be skin manifestations of internal inflammation

that is a good sign the hives can be controlled by over the counter antihistamines like allegra.

I like generic fexofenadine 180mg daily for my allergy symptoms

usually in these cases the reasons for the hives is due to viral infections or vaccines or internal inflammation manifesting on the skin.

as she gets older, you can take her to an allergy and immunology doctor and get skin and blood allergy testing to see what she may be allergic to specifically

but until then, you can continue to use allergra and 1% hydrocortisone creams on the hives to control them when they flare up

let me know if you have questions.