Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I left the hospital today and one of the nurses stated that

Customer Question

I left the hospital today and one of the nurses stated that my WBC was low. 2.9 to be exact. I've had a hepatitis, HIV test done and they were negative. But I've consistently had a low WBC, I am a 35 year old AA make.
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had a PE a couple years back. Before I was in the hospital, I did have food poisoning which caused severe diarrhea and vomiting.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your situation. Can i ask how long have you had a low WBC count? Also do you have the complete CBC report with you? Lastly just to confirm, you were admitted to the hospital this time around for a diarrhea/vomiting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
7 years since I've known
I do have the complete CBC with me
I was admitted for chest pain

And the WBC count has been consistently below 4 on every test? has a bone marrow biopsy been done ever? What about a peripheral film? and if you can attach the CBC here that would be great. Also, . If you get a phone call request, please ignore it as that is an automated site response. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's been between 2.5-4. I had a bone marrow biopsy done and my hematologist said that it came back negative. She also stated that because I'm an AA make that it's normal. I've never had a peripheral film done.

Well if you have had a bone marrow biopsy done then i would tend to agree with your hematologist. If there was a significant issue with this low WBC count then the bone marrow biopsy would have shown some finding. Secondly if a bone amrrow biopsy was done then a peripheral film was done along with it, even if you dont know about it. But even if it wasnt done a bone marrow is more sensitive.

There are causes for a consistently low WBC count including various syndromes and autoimmune conditions. But the fact is you have not developed any symptoms because of teh low WBC count or any other symptoms which would have caused you to fit into one of these numerous syndromes. For example if you had wiskott aldrich syndrome you would also have immune responses like rashes and bloody diarrhea frequently along with the low WBC count. One thing that you could have is cyclic neutropenia which is a condition in which the WBC count drops every 21 days and alternates begtween monocytes and neutrophils.

Also if by AA you mean to say that you are african american, then YES i would agree with your doctor as upto 35-50% of people belonging to this group can have BENIGN ETHNIC NEUTROPENIA. As the name indicates it is a benign condition an does not cause you to develop any problems in the long run. This is a very common thing and should cause NO issues.

The simple thing is that if this low count was due to a serious underlying pathology then it would have presented itself by now with additional symptoms or caused worsening of your general health (which i assume you havent).

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating