Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I inhaled some oil vapor. I've read it can cause pneumonia

Customer Question

I inhaled some oil vapor. I've read it can cause pneumonia How immediately should I seek treatment
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no, perfectly healthy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in treating neurological & all health conditions including lung conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Please see pneumonia developing from inhaling oil vapor can occur but it is extremely rare to occur

The treatments are given if any symptoms develop like coughing, phlegm, fever, difficulty with breathing etc or chest x ray shows pneumonia

The treatment option for this kind of pneumonia is steroids or immunoglobulins etc

Since the possibility of pneumonia developing after exposure to oil vapor is extremely rare so preventive treatments are generally not given. Treatments are necessary only if symptoms develop, the symptoms mentioned earlier above, or x ray shows pneumonia.

You may discuss this incident with your doctor and see whether they can give you a prescription for a course of oral steroid although this is not common practice and it is not necessary if only small amount of oil vapor has been inhaled but if you feel the amount inhaled is large then you may ask your doctor for a course of oral steroid – just as a precautionary measure, but once again I strongly reassure you pneumonia developing after inhaling oil vapor is an extremely rare possibility, so please not to be scared.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Customer/p>

Hi, once again I strongly reassure you the possibility of developing pneumonia is extremely less likely in your case. You may however discuss with your doctors whether they would consider starting a course of oral steroids just as a precautionary measure, although this is not commonly done because the possibility of developing is pneumonia with these kind of situations is indeed extremely rare.

Do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Best Regards!