Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

For a little over a week I've had a bad cough, throat and

Customer Question

For a little over a week I've had a bad cough, throat and ear pain. After a couple days I went to Urgent Care, and they did a strep test on me that came back negative. Told me it was a viral infection and sent me home. The following day felt a little better, but got much worse the next day. I had a slight chill with no fever, and my throat and ear pain was becoming unbearable. Went back to urgent care and demanded antibiotics, they also checked my ears and said I had fluid built up in it so they also gave me sudafed. Today is the last day of my Zpack but the pain still lingers. Also, whats interesting, is that my ear and throat pain switches sides every single day. The symptoms have gotten a little better but doesn't seem to want to go away. My cough is also much more prevalent during night time. I'm starting to get a little worried and was hoping to find some answers...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having this bad infection.

you should take pseudofed 30-60mg 1-2 a day and take benadryl and see if this helps clear up your sinuses and fluid in your ears

you should try yawning and thrusting your low jaw forward at the same time to try to open up your eustachian tube to help drain your inner ear fluid

take a probiotic daily when you are taking antibiotics to prevent diarrhea

wash your hands frequently, this infection will get better with time

some people say taking a zinc supplement can help your infection get better faster.

chicken soup and vitamin C and eating 1-2 oranges a day can help as well.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
That was just a basic answer... I want to know why everyday the pain changes from left ear to right ear... And why it gets a little better and gets worse the next day.

do you have other questions?