Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

What can I do for an infection on my little toe? No. it is a

Customer Question

What can I do for an infection on my little toe?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No. it is a little blister between my little toe. I have been putting bacitracin zinc ointment on it but the pain just woke me up.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: For a few days now. walking makes it worse but now I was sleeping and the pain woke me up.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. I am 85 years old and have had discomfort in that toe for quite a while
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in treating neurological & all health conditions including skin infections and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have been using bacitracin zinc skin ointment for the infection on the little toe but still it is not healing and you have been experiencing severe pain and it is disturbing your sleep too.

What you may do is in the place of bacitracin ointment you may use Neosporin or Polysporin or “Maximum Strength Antibiotic Ointment” which contain more than one antibiotics so they cover for more bacterial organisms than the bacitracin alone, so you may switch the bacitracin ointment to one of the above mentioned skin ointments.

If the above ointments do not help then you may need to try a course of oral antibiotic like Augmentin, or Cephalexin, or other similar oral antibiotic to help in curing this skin infection on the little toe.

Also at that point you may need an examination by your Dr to find out whether this is any viral or fungal infections because in that case you need a different type of treatment.

To summarize again;

You may change the current antibiotic ointment you are using to one of the others mentioned above

If none of the skin ointments help then you will need to take a course of oral antibiotic for helping in curing this infection.

At that point you may also need an examination by your Dr in the clinic to rule out any viral or fungal infections of the skin and then treated appropriately.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Neuro Doctor

Hi, have you had a chance to go through my answer posted above? Please take your time. Do you want to discuss your health concerns further? I am available here to take any additional questions you may have or any further clarifications you may seek related to the treatment/management of the toe infection you have mentioned above. Please let me know.

Best Regards!