Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My grandson is in Riley Children's hospital for

Customer Question

my grandson is in Riley Children's hospital for Hypernatremia. he has been in and out since early October. He was readmitted on 11/25 with a sodium level of 180+. The doctors cannot figure out what is causing it because all of their treatments are working. What is a next step?
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: His mother is keeping records. He has had 2 different 2 week stays at Riley and they have tried everything. When we ask what is next the just shrug and say we don't know we have never seen anyone that has a sodium level over 150 and is still functioning. Even while on their treatments it will drop to about 150 and the next test it will be up to 160.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: This child has a cliff palette and lip and was told at birth he would have issues in the median of his body. He had heart surgery because he had 2 aortic arches, one in back the other in front of his esophagus. in total he has had over 7 surgeries.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your grandson.

Mineralcorticoid excess levesl in the body due to a disease state such as Conn's syndrome can lead to hypernatremia

adrenal overproduction of steroids can do this

drinking excessive salt water or soysauce or salt poisoning can cause high levels of sodium in the body.

he needs to see a kidney specialist (nephrologist) and hormone doctor as well for more extensive testing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dr.
He's been in Riley's Children's Hospital for over 4 weeks since beginning of October. They have tested him from top to bottom. Kidneys functions properly, adrenal gland functions properly, he doesn't drink or eat high sodium items, brain scans ok, MRI come back with nothing.He's got several different teams of specialist that have done every test that is standard and normal for diagnosis but come up with nothing.When he's on IV solutions his sodium level will go down to about 150 and the spike back up to the 160's.So it sounds like you don't know of anything they haven't tried. Thank you for your time. I'll keep looking.

sodium is only controlled by a few systems in the body.

the kidneys control sodium levels

and adrenal glands make steroids which control sodium levels.

his pituitary gland hormones need to be checked as well.

he should get his anti-diuretic hormone levels checked to as well, also called vasopressin levels.

best of luck to you and him

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area.

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com