Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My 16 month old started puking 5 days ago on our trip to AZ

Customer Question

Hi my 16 month old started puking 5 days ago on our trip to AZ and at first it seemed like the typical stomach flu. She puked on and off for 6 hours. She never became dehydrated and she was fine on thanksgiving. The rest of
Our family became sick over the next few days but everyone else quit puking and have recovered. But every day since Friday she has puked once or twice throughout the day. In between puking she seems just fine and behaves normally other than it seems like she's lost her appetite a little bit. She's drinking enough and having wet diapers but I'm concerned that she's been puking almost every day for 5 days and when she does puke it's very forceful. She did have light yellow/cream colored poop twice. A friend says it sounds like rotavirus and that we just have to ride it out.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Are bowel motion normal in color and amount?

Has she fever?

Is she active as normal?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She has had no fever and acts happy and active when she's not actively puking. 15 minutes or so after puking she resumes normal activity. Her bowels movements have all been normal in the past 5 days except for 2. On Sunday she had two light yellow, almost cream colored bowel movements that were abnormal for her. She eats here and there but not nearly
as much as she did before she was sick.

This in all likelihood is viral stomach infection. It is slightly more time to getting over it. In next couple of days, she should be alright and puking should stop. There is nothing which seems to be concerning. She is hydrated, her activities are normal and her bowel motions do not show, lower intestinal infection. Her appetite also should return back normal in next two day.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.