Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My dad had rountine physical in june w/blood work ekg etc

Customer Question

my dad had rountine physical in june w/blood work ekg etc doc said everything was normal. now he has a hernia (ventral) will be seeing a surgeon I guess for recommendation -he is 80. but he has low energy and now his ankle/feet seem swollen? ..
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: excuse me?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no its my dad I just wrote my question, he developed a hernia, he feels low energy not eating as much and ankles/feet swollen..
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Is he having any other symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath?

Do you know what blood work was done in June?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it was routine blood work I guess and no chest pain or shortness of breath. he has an apt with surgeon on Thursday. he is eating, not as much but has not been as active as he has been. he did have ham on thanksgiving which may have been salty.
can you please elaborate your thoughts, thank you

There is a long list of conditions that can cause low energy, but when the low energy is associated with some swelling of the feet and legs, it would be more worrisome for conditions affecting the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, or thyroid.

If he is not having any chest pain or shortness of breath, it would be less likely that he is having heart or lung problems. Liver and kidney blood tests are almost always included in routine screening blood tests. However, thyroid tests are not as routinely included, although they may be done. If any of these labs were borderline in June, it would be appropriate to be concerned that they may have gotten worse. And if something was not checked, such as thyroid tests, it would be appropriate to check it.

It is also possible that swelling could simply be related to decreased activity levels because of the low energy level. The muscles in the legs help blood return to the body and heart, so when there is less use of the leg muscles from inactivity, there can be decreased return of blood that can then cause swelling.

It is also true that increased salt intake can contribute to swelling, although it is usually only a problem for people that have conditions that tend to cause swelling.

Would it be relatively easy to get a copy of the labs done in June? Some offices have a system in place for patients to access their lab work online.

I have not heard back about whether you would be able to get a copy of the labs.

When he sees the surgeon on Thursday, the surgeon should be able to review the previous lab work. The surgeon also can decide whether further evaluation needs to be done before the surgery.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's requested for my dad to have CT oral contrast/iv contrast of abdomen/pelvis and chest of large intra abdominal palpable mass on physical exam. thought it was a hernia now it may be more. Your thoughts

There are many different possibilities that can cause a mass in the abdomen, including both benign and malignant conditions. Fo example, it could be a large benign cyst or it could be a cancer.

Regardless of the type of lump, a lump that is large can be pressing on the large vein behind the abdominal cavity, which can cause swelling.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Swelling,of the mass?less appetite, lost of weight..

It is not clear what you are asking about swelling, but swelling can occur with any mass.

Although loss of appetite and weight is more worrisome for cancer, even a large benign mass in the abdomen can cause similar symptoms simply by pressing on the stomach and creating a sense of fullness after little oral intake.