Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

How long must I quit taking Suboxone before having surgery

Customer Question

Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 days ago.

Dear customer,

Since when are you taking Suboxone? When are you having the surgery and which surgery?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Complete Shoulder replacement, This will be the 12th month, Surgery Is December 22nd
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 days ago.

Dear customer,

What is the dosage of suboxone you are taking at present? What did your doctor or surgeon advice you regarding this?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I haven't asked Just looking for general guide lines, Dosage 4mg/1mg twice a day,
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 days ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

There are two approaches about this. One is to discontinue the medication before at least 2 weeks. However this may lead to withdrawal symptoms and therefore many patients find it difficult to completely stop the medication.

The other approach is to reduce the dosage of the medication and continue the reduced dosage even in the postoperative period. So in these patients who are continuing suboxone in postoperative period, for pain relief opioid medications need to be prescribed in sufficient dosage to relieve the pain.

Therefore since the surgery is less than a month away you need to discuss regarding your options with your doctor/surgeon.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.