Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have hydrocephalus I currently have a VP shunt I have

Customer Question

Hello I have hydrocephalus I currently have a VP shunt I have thrown up three times in the last two hours. Barely made it threw my swim practice and now I cannot put any pressure on my shunt and I am really dizzy and nauseous and I am not sure what to do
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: A few hours with alittle blurry vision
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I told my mom but she thinks it is no big deal I am at college just got back from break
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in treating all neurological & medical conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

You need to be seen by a neurologist or neurosurgeon asap

The symptoms you are having are suspicious for some shunt related problem

It may be shunt obstruction or shunt related infection etc and this can cause increased CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) pressure and cause the type of symptoms you are having

This needs to be examined clinically and then investigated appropriately asap

You may try to visit the ER and they need to call the neurologist or neurosurgeon to examine you and then arrange for shunt related investigations that will include a brain scan like CAT scan and shuntogram or shunt series etc and once the precise cause for your symptoms is identified it will be treated appropriately.

Please not to be scared, shunt related problems can be successfully treated so try to get this examined and investigated in the ER asap.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Hi, as mentioned earlier shunt related problem is one of the possibilities and once again I reassure you this can be treated & resolved so please try to get this examined and investigated asap. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this health situation further. And please do not forget to click a positive rating for my services to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too and I will be very glad to continue helping you as long as you need my services. Best regards, ***** *****