Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have had an intermittent sore throat for at least the past

Customer Question

I have had an intermittent sore throat for at least the past 4 weeks, no fever, no coughing, no sneezing, no heavy bed sweating or unexplained weight loss. Now I just experienced my tongue feeling like pins and needles when eating and extreme sore throat and the lymph nodes on my neck are extremely enlarged and painful to the touch and when moving my head around. I don't know the difference from hard or soft lymph nodes or if they move or are fixed in place. I have no idea what's going on. Very worried about cancer or possible nhl. Please need some advice.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Associated stuffy nose?

Phlegm at back of throat?

Pain during swallowing in back of throat?

Constant throat irritation and clearing?

Nausea,heartburn?

Smoking and alcohol intake?

Are you taking any medications?

Any investigations so far?

Clogged ears?

Heaviness in chest?

Any other medical history?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No stuffy nose, no phlegm, pain in the throat is in the middle and sides when swallowing, hurts when talking and eating. It also feels like my throat is swollen and difficult to swallow at times. The throat pain has been off and on but no real feeling of needing to clear the throat. On my right side it seems the pain from my throat radiates to my ear and feels almost like a throbbing sensation. I do suffer from heartburn occasionally. I drink occasionally and don't smoke. Im currently not on any medications besides tramadol taken here and there for fibromyalgia pain. Im overall in good health without any serious health issues. I do not have any chest heaviness. I did go to the ER and have some blood work done and everything looked well. My lymph nodes were noted to be very swollen.
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 12 days ago.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.
I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,it seems pharyngitis/tonsillitis.

And you should see an ENT specialist for a clinical examination,throat swab and culture,laryngoscopy for further evaluation and management.

Chances of cancer are less likely.

Other possible cause may include Laryngopharyngeal acid reflux.

So you should try OTC Zantac and Zyrtec.

Also steam inhalation and saline gargles can be tried.

Oral betadine rinse can be helpful to relieve throat discomfort.

You should start a multivitamin supplement.

Take warm drinks,lemon tea,ginger tea.

Avoid spicy,fried food.

Also avoid carbonated beverages.

Warm compresses on swollen lymph nodes are also effective.

Take OTC Motrin.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What could be causing this sore throat for such a long time with no other symptoms than the intermittent sore throat, and now the inflamed lymph nodes?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

As we discussed earlier it seems pharyngitis/tonsillitis.

And in most of the cases,viral infection is the most common cause of a sore or red throat, and these infections will also frequently have swollen tonsils or lymph nodes. The tonsils are made of lymph tissue, so many conditions will cause tonsillar enlargement and swollen lymph nodes because both are lymph tissue responding to the infection.

And there are certain viral infections, such as mono/EBV and CMV, that will commonly cause infections that last weeks.

So I recommend you to see an ENT specialist for complete throat examination to rule out underlying possible cause.

In the meantime you should try such self care measures which we have discussed earlier.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 12 days ago.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Does nhl have a painful sore throat as a symptom? And would the lymph nodes on the neck be painful to the touch with nhl?
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Symptoms of Non-Hodgkin lymphoma may include

Drenching night sweats
Fever and chills that come and go
Itching
Swollen lymph nodes in the neck, underarms, groin, or other areas
Weight loss
Coughing or shortness of breath
Abdominal pain or swelling, leading to loss of appetite, constipation, nausea, and vomiting

Sore throat and swollen lymph nodes themselves don't confirm NHL.

As you don't have other symptoms currently with normal blood work findings at ER so chances of NHL are less.

I would still recommend to see an ENT specialist for further evaluation and management.

I wish for your good health.
Please do not forget to leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars if you are satisfied with our conversation. Avoid poor/bad rating.
We can continue our conversation even after you provide rating.

Kind Regards
Dr.Anil

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 12 days ago.

May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.