Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have already asked a doctor on "Ask a Dr. a few minutes

Customer Question

I have already asked a doctor on "Ask a Dr. a few minutes ago and I had to leave site for wrong sec. #. I have been with you before and would like to get answer. I could not go back to my messages and keep you on the line while
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I have. Last night I went to emergency room with what was diagnosed as cellulitus. He perscribed Clindamycin, 300 mg. 3 x per day. I took first pill when I got home last night at 1:30 am, then 9:00 am then 4:00pm. I am on Losartan 25 mg, 0ne,...25 mg alprazolam 3x per day, Vitamins C,B, D, E, B complex, and I have an epi pen that expired in Oct. for idiopathic hives. I am allergic to sullpha..I have no epi pen because of price. My age is 73. In good shape otherwise. cut on finger is where infection is.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I answered those on previous message just now.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no to think of any.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 12 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you.

It is not clear from this wording what question you are asking, but it seems that your earlier question pertained to taking two doses closer together than every 8 hours.

There is no problem with taking the medicines as you have taken them. The recommended dose of clindamycin varies according to the severity of the infection, with 300 mg being an average dose, and the frequency can be either three or four times per day, so can be taken every 6 hours or every 4 hours. In your case, since you started at a time when most people are asleep (1:30 am), it is fine to take a few doses sooner than at 8 hour intervals until you are into a normal schedule. If you sleep 8 hours through the night, then taking one dose upon awakening, the second dose 8 hours later, and the third dose at bedtime would be fine. Taking the medicine closer together than the 8 hours for the first day or so until you are in that normal schedule is fine.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.