Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye,
Experience:  Physician at Workwell Medical Group
96930917

I've been taking propranolol 10mg 3 x a day for about about

Customer Question

Hi there I've been taking propranolol 10mg 3 x a day for about about month because I used to take cocaine at the weekends and smoke cannabis every day. I did 2 lines of cocaine last night while out drinking with friends. Just wondering if I about my in any danger taking my usual dose of propranolol today even though I didn't a small amount of cocaine last night ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

Thank you for waiting, I have been looking up various studies. As you know, the combination of propranolol and Coccaine is not a good one, although most studies were done with propranolol higher dose and IV injections in the Emergency Room. A small amount may be ok if you have to have Propranolol today, perhaps 5 mg twice a day, but it would be best not to take it. As you may know, Cocaine levels peak in the blood about 30 minutes after you take it. But cocaine’s action in and on the body depends upon several factors. Dosage, mode of administration, single vs. multiple use. But in general, cocaine and its metabolites stay in the system and can be detected 2-4 days after use

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon! For future questions you may contact me at this web site: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-frye/

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was yesterday I took the cocaine and I havnt done it for months.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will I be able to take my propranolol tomorrow?

It depends on your metabolism and dose of coccaine, it can last up to 4 days after use, but the amount gets smaller and smaller. You may want to try 5 mg in the morning and check your pulse and blood pressure to make sure you are not having any side effects, then try 10 mg in the middle of the day with the same thing, and if ok take 10 mg in the evening again and you should be in the clear.