Dr. Ashori
Dr. Ashori, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

If my nails are slightly clubbed due to low blood oxygen due

If my nails are slightly clubbed due to low blood oxygen due to sedentary lifestyle and smoking cigarettes since I'm was 17 I'm now 37 is there a chance if I start exercising cut down on smoking and start eating healthy again , that my nails can potemtially improve ? Maybe flatten out some take on a better appearance again ?healthier appearance

Yes, quite likely!

Though there aren't a whole lot of studies I have seen my patients improve drastically from such nail changes.

Especially if you start doing a lot more aerobic exercises and increase the circulation to your fingers then you are most likely to notice reversal of the process.

Remember that any nicotine product will cost the same distortion in your nails. So be sure to not use any nicotine gum or nicotine patches.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sounds excitingly promising
Strangely most other doctors have told me the changes once clubbed it curved are permanent is this wrong ?

They aren't wrong, that's from some VERY old information we had about patients I think back in the early 1900's. Since then there hasn't been much data on it and as I mentioned, I definitely have had patients report drastic improvement to me after stopping nicotine products AND increasing their activity levels.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should I mention it to my pulmonologist when I go next week for pft see what he thinks ?

You can do PFT's, sure, it's non-invasive.

I don't see anything wrong with doing it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it possible that my fingers finger tips mainly widen when I smoke a lot compared to when I dont the picture where my fingers seem slender for lack of the proper term are from
Monday after a. Manicure and then the other two where they look like deformed monster hands are from just now I smoked a lot since manicure and I'm. Not sure if my fingers when smoking heavily have looked like this in past also and then thinned out so to speak please let me know
I'm very anxious over this they look errorless I am very conscious of keeping nice hands nails etc especially cause I use my hands for work so when I clean them up I like them to look nice

I believe you are asking whether they can change instantly while smoking? It’s not the case with clubbing, it’s a chronic condition that develops from longterm vasoconstriction of the small vessels of the distal digits. So it wouldn’t be happening immediately during smoking. Hope I’m explaining that well. The images were helpful that you for uploading them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you see the difference in pictures? The ones where my fingers seem pudgier & more bulbous ate just two days After the other picture where my fingers at least in my opinion seemed more slender if that a good word to describe they're look ? That's why I asked is it pososble for the amount I smoke, if a lot to cause my vessels to inflame causing my fingertips to be more bulbed or thickened then usual ? I definitely see a difference and I'm not sure if this has happened allready and then when not smoking so much they reversed to more slender better looking easier in my eyes of you get what I mean ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry to ask do many questions. Repetitive ones

I can't appreciate much of a difference between the 2 pictures, there is a slight difference but I'm not sure it's enough to be caused by nicotine exposure. Water retention or increase blood flow/decreased flow due to other reasons can cause that as well.

As for smoking causing infammation, it's actually the opposite. They cause constriction of the vessels, that in turn increases blood flow to the fingers, making the vessels larger and therefore making the tissue in the fingers bigger.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so less smoking equals less vasoconstriction which equals less blood flow or blood pressure to the fingers ? I got this right ? I used to treat my body like a machine it's got plumbing and all sorts of stuff inside us obviously it's way more complex then a couple of old rusty pipes and some electric etc

That's correct. You have that right.

Increasing circulation will fight the vasoconstriction and the slowly decrease the excess blood flow that's unnecessary and will bring down the size of the finger tips and create slender tapering digits.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nice that sounds great assuming it not too late thanks to as you stated morphological changes having already taken shape ! So basically stop
Smoking keep eating healthy get more cardio in and hopefully they'll start looking better and I'll definitely start feeling better thanks for all your help and information how should I proceed from here to make sure you get compensated for your service and time

You are quite welcome.

Yes, basically the most important thing is to quite smoking, to not use any nicotine products and do cardio exercises. That will rebuild the circulation back to normal. Especially with the pictures you showed me your chance of going back to normal should be incredibly high.

Please take a moment and rate this answer so that I can be compensated.

You're always welcome to ask follow up questions in the future.