Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I just have a question. No I have not, it is just a silly

Customer Question

Hey I just have a question.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No I have not, it is just a silly question but it makes feel anxious about my health
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: My question is? can you get Hiv from a walk in clinic? I went to a walk in clinic to treat my ear infection and I was given steroid shot? I felt better after the shot, but after two weeks from the shot I started feeling horrible I got cold with no fever and I lost about four pounds in two weeks and even with home remedies it took me two weeks to get better. what is making me wonder could the nurse hit me with a dirty needle?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: nope
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

The only way that you could acquire HIV from a Walk-in Clinic would be if contaminated supplies or equipment was used. One example of that would be if the needle used for an injection was previously used on another patient that was HIV positive. If you had not other procedures done during the visit, then there would not be another possible mode of transmission.

However, it would be extraordinary for any clinic or doctor office in the US to use dirty needles. It has been standard of care that needles be single use for a long time. the agencies that inspect medical clinics and facilities would close down any clinic that was discovered to be re-using needles.

Of course, there are many simple viruses that could have been transmitted from contact with other patients at the Walk-in Clinic, but it would be extraordinary for HIV to be transmitted.

Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What makes me feel that way is, two weeks after the shot I got sick, and started feeling weak because my appetite went down, I experienced a little random itchiness all over my body? Are these hiv symptoms or I'm just anxious?

The symptoms of an acute HIV infection is frequently described as a flu-like illness because it is similar to the flu and other simple viruses that also cause flu-like illness. Itching is not seen much with HIV or other viral infections, but the general malaise and loss of appetite can happen with either an acute HIV infection or from multiple viral infections that can be transmitted by casual contact.

This is why symptoms are a lousy way to diagnose HIV, even in someone with a known definite exposure to HIV. Many of these viral infections are very common, and far more common than HIV, even in people that engage in high risk behavior. There is no problem with getting checked for HIV to relieve your concern, as it is recommended that all adults be periodically checked for HIV, but it would be extraordinary to contract HIV from a medical clinic.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have to be worried anymore and just reset my mind again with no worries. Thank you so much doctor!

No. There is no reason to worry.

You are very welcome. Thank you for using JustAnswer.