Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been on 10 mg of Prozac for 30 years how can I wean

Customer Question

I have been on 10 mg of Prozac for 30 years how can I wean myself off of them
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: high cholesterol no allergies
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: nothing 66 healthy
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 12 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

First, most people do not need to wean off the 10 mg dose of Prozac. This is the lowest strength of Prozac that is available, and the dose range for Prozac is 10 - 80 mg daily. For people tapering from higher doses of Prozac, they can typically be stopped once they are down to taking 10 mg daily. It is only the very unusual individual that is very sensitive to stopping the drug that may need to be tapered from a 10 mg dose of Prozac.

If you are one of the individuals that are very sensitive to stopping this dose, then the usual method that I use is to change to the liquid form of the drug, which will allow very small adjustments in dose. But that would require that you obtain such a prescription from your doctor, so is not an option for you to wean yourself off the medicine. If you have the tablets of Prozac, then you can use a pill splitter to cut each pill in half, and take half a pill for three weeks and then stop the pill. But if you have the Prozac capsules, they cannot be split, so you can ask your Pharmacist if you can get the next refill with the tablets instead of the capsules.

So, most people do not need to be weaned off such a low dose of Prozac. But if you are sensitive to stopping the Prozac, the best that you can do to wean yourself off the Prozac would be to use a pill splitter to cut the pills in half and take half a pill for three weeks before stopping the medicine.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.