Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Bumped my right leg a couple of weeks ago and thought

Customer Question

Bumped my right leg a couple of weeks ago and thought nothing of it until a couple of hours kater the bump became the size of a grapefruit, I iced it for a few days but bleeding showed up on my chin, ankle , foot and toes. Went to the doctor and he did a sonogram and said it was not a blood clot. has me treating the brusing with heat and whirlpool for the last week. my question is while the brusing is going away the bump is not, currently the size of a large egg. what is the bump? can it be removed or drained?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Your symptoms and history of bumping, are suggestive of diagnosis of hematoma. Hematoma is a liquefied blood collection. Another possibility is synovial fluid collection around the joint and tendon. But hematoma is more plausible explanation, since you mentioned that bleeding showed on ankle, foot and toes. This can be confirmed by repeating the ultrasound.

Hematoma dissolve on its own most of the time in 3-4 weeks. Occasionally they may take up to 6 weeks. These can be aspirated by a wide bore needle. Draining is not necessary.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.