Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

A day before I delivered my daughter, I was unable to

Customer Question

A day before I delivered my daughter, I was unable to urinate for about 24+ hours. They finally catheterized me and took out a liter+ of urine. wondering what this is called and how common it is. I am female and 44 years old. Delivery was a c-section.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Not taking anything, the doctors were surprised but didn't really say anything as to what caused it or what it is called. I'm fine now, found out from the catheter that I'm allergic to latex but all is good and I'm doing well.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: nothing I can think of. bladder has not really been exactly the same after. very slow urinating but still can and nothing hurts.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: no pain, just pressure more than anything and more frequent urination but sometimes it takes a while to come out, I'm the last one out of the ladies stall when we all go in together type of thing. more curious if you know during pregnancy why the bladder stopped working and what that might be called.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I am writing you the answer.

It may take 7-10 minutes.

The retention of urine last one weeks of pregnancy is not uncommon and is due to following;

1) Pressure of the uterus on the bladder.

2) Pelvic floor not working properly so urinary sphincter function is hampered.

3) There are some hormonal changes just before the delivery which may not let the bladder muscles to contract properly and thus emptying is affected.

An overstretching of the bladder due to one liter of urine may affect its optimum contraction for transient duration. This is temporary and return to normal in majority of the women. Since you have been experiencing symptoms persistently, following investigations are advised (your primary care physician or a urologist can order them) to ascertain the cause:

1) Uroflometry.

2) Urodynamic study (video urodynamics).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

1) Uroflometry.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.