Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Need to talk to some one about sleep apnea...what is a

Customer Question

Need to talk to some one about sleep apnea...what is a Doctors Assistant?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Are u a nurse or a doctor?
JA: No. I'm the Doctor's Assistant.
Customer: do u have any Certs or formal training?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Yes. 12-13 yrs ago I went to MD due to extreme fatigue/short term memory loss. Idiopathic Polycythemia from too many RBCs has been DX since then. Short term memory loss progressed to other neurological changes-I got lost in my town of 10,000 couldn't find way home, car accident unexplained. Progressed to falling down in the am, had to retire RN license due to memory loss, on disability for PTSD now. PTSD is from my husband's death from a medical incident that happened 12 yrs ago at same time I first C/O fatigue/depression/memory loss. All symptoms blamed on PTSD. Well finally DX with severe sleep apnea, started on 02 at night less than yr ago. Huge improvement.
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: but now seems sleep apnea is worse...when I was screened for sleep apnea, my HR dropped down in 40s at night, 02sat was 80%. I can't fall asleep in sleep lab due to PTSD and cost, so can't get a CPAP according to MD. Now I'm still on O2 at night, but back to sleeping at least 12 hrs day...wake up with with HA, ringing in ears, confused etc. I thought about buyin CPAP from eBay, but don't know settings etc, and people tell it has to be monitored, which I can't afford.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you need to see a pulmonologist who treats sleep apnea or a sleep specialist doctor.

do you take medications for your PTSD?

you can't sleep at home

you can't sleep at the sleep lab.

but you are sleeping during the day at home.

you can't get a sleep study done at the lab during the day?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The sleep lab triggers PTSD from medical field. If triggered I stay awake for2-3 days then sleep from exhaustion. Can you use CPAP with out monitoring if I buy it my self. I also can't afford the co pay from sleep lab.

you shouldn't use CPAP yourself without monitoring and without being prescribed by a doctor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I make $1500 month. And don't qualify for any help. My meds/medical bills run about $400 month and I need to eat.
So back to the just the O2...unless I buy a used CPAP and have some one show me how to use it. The MDs all want me to have full work up for symptoms but can't afford it so they don't want to see me again.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Take Paxil, Xanax, prasozin

you need a doctor to prescribe a CPAP machine for you.

we can't do that for you online.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks

you are welcome