Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

Had a Medtronic -ventricular with defibrillator installed

Customer Question

Had a Medtronic bi-ventricular with defibrillator installed 11/11. No problem with insert site; my left arm including hand is sore & swelling. Should I wait until Monday to contact doctor or go to the hospital?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Had bi-vic installed in 2001 & batteries replaced about 7 years later. E-f now at 28% that was reason for complete replacement. I did notice at site of iv some infiltration leading to bruising. No more bruising, after about a week, but the swelling started.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 8 days ago.

Hi Dr. Mo here. Is the whole arm swollen or mostly the hand?

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 8 days ago.

Usually after this procedure it's normal to see bruising over the chest and some bruising down the arm.

Swelling is normal if it's in the hand or immediately around the surgical site.

If he whole arm is swollen or there is slight change in color from left arm and right arm then there is a small chance of a clot in the arm. Are you on any blood thinners by chance?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No, no blood thinners.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
my triceps is larger than right side, tender to touch
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 8 days ago.

The tenderness could just be from some blood having tracked down the arm. I would recommend elevating it as much as possible today. If the swelling is any worse tomorrow then it would be worthwhile to have an ultrasound of the arm.

Hopefully it will be better.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. I was told not to elevate my arm for about 4 weeks. Just heard from on-call cardio who said I must go to the emergency room immediately.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 8 days ago.

I see, okay, hopefully all will be well.

Please come back here and let me know how things go, I am crossing my fingers for you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 7 days ago.

I hope you're doing well.

I was wondering what the result of the ultrasound was which they probably did in the ER?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I was admitted & put on heparin IV. Spent the night & released Sunday 3pm. Two large blockages in my underarm & 6 small blockages through out the left arm. I will be following up with the pacemaker surgeon, cardiologist and family doctor this week. 2 prescriptions for xarelco for the next couple of months. Swelling of hand & arm has decreased. My 3 cats missed me! Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 7 days ago.

I'm glad the cats have you back! :)

Happy the swelling went down.

Thank you for the update. Let me know if any questions come up.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 3 days ago.

Please take a moment to rate this answer.

Hope you are doing well.

Dr. Mo