Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I ingested truffles/magic mushrooms in Amsterdam last

Customer Question

I ingested truffles/magic mushrooms in Amsterdam last Saturday and Sunday. Since then, I've had mild stomach pains and I feel like vomiting after eating most meals. I've also been belching more than normal and feel very anxious and generally depressed. I don't normally feel like this. I have a week immune system in general due to a damaged microbiome from overuse of antibiotics. Can you provide any help?
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: Since last Sunday. No, I haven't spoken to anyone else
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Food sensitivities to gluten, yeast and sugar.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Do you have tenderness on abdomen, bloating, constipation/diarrhea, fever?

What is your age and gender?

Are you on any medications / herbs / supplements?

Any significant past medical illness or surgery?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have tenderness in the abdomen and bloating.37 male.I take vitamin c, zinc and echinacea.Reactivated epstein barr virus and recurrent UTI

Your symptoms are suggestive of mild intestinal infection or allergy to truffles/magic mushrooms. Usually allergy do not last for so long. So my suspicion would be more towards the infection. Gastritis or inflammation of the stomach is an another possibility of the diagnosis for your symptoms. You may do following;

1) Try Antacid like Maalox and acid blocker Prilosec. This would help in gastritis as well as food allergies.

2) If your symptoms are moderate to severe; you may seek an exam by a doctor. You may consider going to a doctor if the above also does not give you relief.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
If i do have an infection, how do i get rid of it? And is there a way to flush the mushrooms/truffles out of my system?Could this have caused long term damage?

It has not caused any long term damage.

Lot of liquids (water, fresh fruit juices, coconut water etc) will flush it out.

An infection will require a course of antibiotics.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
but how do i know if it's an infection? Could the Truffles have caused the infection?

The infection assessment is by;

1) Symptoms; tenderness is a sign of infection.

2) Duration; Any abdominal symptom going for more than 5 days is a sign of infection.

3) Investigation; would be needed (blood work, ultrasound etc) to confirm and substantiate it.

Truffles can cause the infection.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 days ago.

Hope you are doing good and your symptoms have completely resolved.