Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I cannot stay awake in the morning after a descent night's

Customer Question

I cannot stay awake in the morning after a descent night's rest. And sleep many naps during the day. It's getting worse every day !
can you help me understand this problem ?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 10 days ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

There are many possibilities for daytime sleepiness. Are you confident that the sleep you're getting is good quality? Have you ever had a sleep study?

Expert:  drcaplan replied 10 days ago.

Perhaps these may be of use for your difficulty feeling rested in the morning, and to help avoid daytime sleepiness:

Expert:  drcaplan replied 10 days ago.

How can I help prevent insomnia or sleep more?

• Establish a regular bedtime and wake-up time and stick to them, even on weekends.

• Avoid taking naps if you want to sleep more at night, but naps are great if you have less trouble sleeping at night. The more sleep, including naps, the better!

• Exercise regularly during the day. Avoid exercising in the evening.

• Keep light levels very low after sunset and keep the bedroom very dark.

• Keep the bedroom at a cool temperature.

• Use the bed only for sleep and sex, not for reading, using the computer, or watching television.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 10 days ago.

• Go to bed when you are drowsy and get up when you are wide awake.

• Avoid caffeine, other stimulants, cigarettes, and alcohol. Do not drink alcohol within 6 hours of bedtime. If you smoke, try to quit smoking entirely. Cutting back on smoking without quitting may lead to nicotine withdrawal in the middle of the night that awakens you.

• Eat lightly at the evening meal and avoid snacks after supper.

• Lose weight if you are overweight.

• Learn to use relaxation exercises.

• Meditate for 20 minutes before you go to bed.

• Read something light or entertaining ust before you go to bed, to get your mind off the day’s troubles.

• Consider having white noise in the background, such as a fan blowing.

• Try not to focus on falling asleep. For example, don’t keep checking the clock and worry about why you are not asleep yet. If you are awake for more than 20 minutes, leave the bed and do not go back to bed until you feel ready to sleep.

• Try to reduce stress in your life by changing the things that cause stress.

• Keep a “to do” journal. Before you go to bed, write down all the things you are worrying about. Then write down what you can do tomorrow. Mark the other things as things to do later in the week. This will help clear your mind of worry.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 10 days ago.

And this paper might have some useful insights too!

Expert:  drcaplan replied 10 days ago.

If you have a doctor you can discuss this with, who is available to prescribe medications, you may be suitable to try either Provigil or Methyphenidate, or Adderall. Each of these may help you regulate daytime sleepiness.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 9 days ago.

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I clarify, or address any other related questions for you today?