Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Lower left back pain especially when lifting left leg like

lower left back pain especially when lifting left leg like trying to climb stairs. For the last 3 days I've been having pretty bad pain in my lower left back/hip area. It hurts only on movement but it does slightly ache otherwise. From a standing position I can only lift my left knee up about 4-6". Right leg no problem. It doesn't hurt to sit or lie down, but after I do so for any length of time it hurts a lot more trying to stand up. In the morning for instance I literally have to roll out of bed onto floor it is so stiff/sore/painful to try and move that leg.
It started the day after I did a back workout I did on the "roman chair". With a 25 lb weight held to my chest you lean forward then lift up to workout your lower back. However when I think I hurt it was doing a side rise workout on the same roman chair. I only did a few as it was hard to do and hurt a bit. The next day it was stiff and the day after that really bad. It's been 2 days now that it's been really bad. Gets better though as day goes on. But starts off at a level 9 on waking and by noon it's like a 7.
Was going to chiropractor today but they are closed until monday for the holiday. Yesterday I took a couple of Ibuprofen and it got a lot better then got worse later as it wore off and I was laying down for a while. (hurt when getting up, not when lying down) Today I took 2 Ibuprofen around 4 am. and then 1 alieve at 8:30 a.m.
Any suggestions? Stretches? (I'm thinking it might be flexor muscles)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

it sounds like you most likely tore or severely strained a lower back or oblique muscle doing your exercise.

you should be alternating icing and heating pads on your back to help ice to decrease inflammation and pain and heating pads to help relax your muscles.

you can also take ibuprofen or aleve with food in your stomach and with plenty of water to help decrease pain and inflammation as well

you can try to stretch your back muscles. you should be doing stretches before and after working out

but the stretches may be too painful at this point of the muscle is injured.

how old are you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the help! I'm a young 55. I work out often but this was an exercise i hadn"t been doing. A nagging mild on and off "stinging" in my lower trapezius and a little ache lower back prompted me to try and "work it out". I overdid it. But it didn't hurt til next morning. Then 2nd day it was rrally bad

sounds like a tore or strained muscle.

you need ice and heat on it.

and rest and eating protein and the muscle will heal over time.

no roman chairs or sit ups for now.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
very helpful responses. Thank you.

thanks for that

do you see the ratings area?

you may have to scrolll up or down to see it.