Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

Treatment of interstitial Cystitis, My wife has interstitial

Customer Question

treatment of interstitial Cystitis
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My wife has interstitial cystitis and the treatment she is getting has not have any effects.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She has rheumatoid arthritis and recently she underwent total right replacement after a fractured of that knee.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Sorry she had a fracture right hip, not there knee. no swellingh. Mostly the problem is that she as t go to the bathroom many times at night ( x 9-10)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is her age?

Since how long she is diagnosed for interstitial cystitis ?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is 83 and has had IC for 8 years.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I do not want to call. I want a refund of the payment I made just minutes ago.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.Its okay if you do not want the call.We can continue in chat mode.Here is your answer:

Interstitial cystitis (IC) is a condition that causes discomfort or pain in the bladder and a need to urinate frequently and urgently.

Unfortunately, there's currently no cure for interstitial cystitis and it can be difficult to treat. Following treatments are recommended for her:

• Oral pharmacologic agents (eg, pentosan polysulfate sodium [Elmiron], antihistamines, tricyclic antidepressants, analgesics, anti-inflammatory agents)
  • Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen 400 mg
  • Bladder instillations with mixtures including DMSO, sodium hyaluronate, Heparin and others
  • Heparinoid (Heparin -like) drug Pentosan polysulfate sodium (PPS; brand name Elmiron ) is quite effective as it assists in the protection of the inner lining cells of the bladder.
  • . A tricyclic antidepressant called amitriptyline (Elavil) may help reduce pain, increase bladder capacity, and decrease frequency and nocturia.

No simple treatment eliminates the signs and symptoms of interstitial cystitis, and no one treatment works for everyone.She may need to discuss these treatments with her doctor.So I advise for her to make an appointment with her urologist & get prescription of these treatments accordingly.This will help her greatly in treating her symptoms of urgency & frequency of urination.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh