Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye,
Experience:  Physician at Workwell Medical Group
96930917

I just had one on one (man to man) intercorse, he has HIV,

Customer Question

I just had one on one (man to man) intercorse, he has HIV, but takes meds, but told me his condom broke. Im very worried and dont know the risks of this and if its going to pass on to me. Im 18 but live with parents and depend on them but i dont want to tell them about doing a test.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

Thank you for waiting and I understand the situation is very scary:

HEre are the studies regarding your risk:

The most widely cited study of per-act anal-transmission risk was published in 1999. It found that amongst men in high-income countries, unprotected anal intercourse with an HIV-positive insertive partner carried an estimated 0.82% risk of infection for the receptive partner per sexual act, or a 1-in-122 risk of transmission.5 It estimated the risk for the insertive partner as 0.06% per sexual act, or a 1-in-1666 risk of transmission.5

A more recent study amongst men from Sydney, Australia,6 has been able to more accurately estimate the per-act risks based on a wider variety of factors. The data support a recent meta-analysis of all previous studies of the per-act risk of receptive anal intercourse to ejaculation for both heterosexuals and sex between men, which was estimated to be 1.4%.7 Table 5.2 below, provides an overview of the Australian study's estimates.

Risk of HIV transmission via anal intercourse, per sexual act

Per-act probability

Insertive partner's risk (circumcised)

0.11%

(1 in 909)

Insertive partner's risk (uncircumcised)

0.62%

(1 in 161)

Receptive partner's risk (without ejaculation)

0.65%

(1 in 154)

Receptive partner's risk (with ejaculation)

1.43%

(1 in 70)

Source: Jin F et al. Per-contact probability of HIV transmission in homosexual men in Sydney in the era of HAART. AIDS, published online ahead of print, 2010.

Thank you for waiting, another expert was apparently in this question. There are clinics where you can go and get confidential testing done and get started on phorphylaxis as soon as possible since the risk is too high. Hopefully with him taking medications there is very little virus to be exposed to but the risk is still there and you should go NOW, the medications are a lot less effective as every hour passes.

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon! For future questions you may contact me at this web site: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-frye/