Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye,
Experience:  Physician at Workwell Medical Group
96930917

I was hoping I could get a clear report On the impression

Customer Question

Hi I was hoping I could get a clear report On the impression part of my MRI report
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I do have a Drs appt but not until late next month
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I already have a previous lumbar fusion
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: Again? Which part?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

Sure, can you upload the report please

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
IMPRESSION:
1. L4-S1 anterior posterior column spinal instrumentation and graft material with
decompressive laminectomy. This was evident on prior CT and is unlikely to be
changed. See previous reports. Repeat CT with reconstructed data could be
utilized to further assess hardware and fusion integrity if desired.
2. L2-3 and L3-4 disc and facet degenerative change with old annular tears and disc
hernia at both levels. Retrolisthesis at both levels with no mass effect on
descending or exiting nerve roots detected in the supine position.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Did you need the full report or is the impression paragraph sufficient?

Thank you -

1. This appears to be no changes from your previous imaging and previous fusion at L4-L5 level.

2. Arthitis (wear and tear) changes and old disc tears and protrusions at both L2-3 and L 3-4 levels, and also the bones at those 2 levels are shifted toward the back, but your spinal cord or the nerves that come out oat this level are not affected or pinched

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Would that be causing pretty intense pain in the left groin and Si joint areas? Increased pain when running?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
One other question, when you have an "old tear" will it always show up in subsequent mri's even after healed? Does that mean those tears never healed?

The thing is, these imaging only show us the anatomy. We can't see what kind of inflammation is going on around the nerve. But good news is there does not appear to be any additional injury. Yes this could still cause you significant pain. Yes it means the tear did not heal, but it is not getting worse either.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Disc protrusion is a herniated disc? At both levels?

Sometimes they do heal, but in your case it did not. Some people have tears and no symptoms, so it is hard to predict what is going to cause a problem sometimes. NOrmally we could do physical therapy, chiropractor or acupuncture. Repeat epidural injection if your specialist things they would help, up to 3 of those. And last respsort repeat surgery.

Yes both level herniated discs.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have herniated discs and disc tears at both those levels and now some athritis too? I'd like to know if I should stop most physical activity until I see the Dr later next month?

No the activity actually helps! We used to think bedrest would help with this but there have been many studies done which show that no activity makes it worse. Here is a link to some exercises that you can do:

https://www.spineuniverse.com/conditions/herniated-disc/exercise-herniated-discs

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon! For future questions you may contact me at this web site: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-frye/