Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye,
Experience:  Physician at Workwell Medical Group
96930917

My dad has been taking Metformin for Diabetes type 2, and he

Customer Question

Hello, my dad has been taking Metformin for Diabetes type 2, and he had internal chills without a fever and I read that Metformin can cause lactic acidosis and one of the symptoms is chills. So he went to the doctor and the doctor said it may be lactic acidosis, but he didn't change the medication because he said other medications make your sugar go too low and you can go into a coma. So he just reduced the dosage of Metformin. He got a blood test done today for diabetes to see if it had gotten reversed and also for lactic acidosis, and the results will be back in a few days. But I was wondering, do you know of other medications for diabetes type 2 that may not make his sugar go too low because there are a lot of medications for diabetes type 2? And what can he do to avoid the lactic acidosis? What do you suggest for this situation?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

Thank you for waiting. You are correct, there are so many different diabetes medications and many do not cause the blood sugar to go too low. If your dad's diabetes has been well controlled, there is no reason to change him from Metformin (that is an excellent medication and all other medications also have possible side effects), but the question is, does he really have lactic acidosis? Normally lactic acidosis would cause nausea, vomiting, muscle weakness and rapid breathing, and you have mentioned none of those symptoms. Chills could be completely unrelated.

If this was my dad I would wait and see what the blood work shows before deciding to change medications while monitoring your dad to make sure he does not get worse with any symptoms.

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon! For future questions you may contact me at this web site: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-frye/