Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye,
Experience:  Physician at Workwell Medical Group
96930917

I am wondering about he pros and cons of draining an

Customer Question

I am wondering about he pros and cons of draining an abdominal heamatoma post husterectomy
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, I am currently in the hospital but my doctor is weighing the pros and cons of draining and I am looking for some facts about it. It's 130 mls
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had an emergency operation 3 days ago post my husterectomy 3 weeks ago to close off a bleeder. My blood count was down to 63 I have had two transfusions and my blood is now 93 however I am still having a lot of pain around my haematoma and still apotting
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Not good, I have had a very rough year 7 month old baby, emergency c section, post operation septic shock, emergency operation, hysterectomy 3 weeks ago due to excessive uncontrollable bleeding, post op bleeding, emergency operation to close bleeder and now the heamatoma
Category: Medical
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

Sorry to hear about all your problems, sounds very rough lately.

The pros of draining the hematoma are that if it is significant enough and causing you a lot of pain it would definitely help relieve those symptoms and speed you the healing process.

The cons are as with any procedure: risk of bleeding, scarring, infection and that it may recur again and you would be back at square one.

So the question is individual and personal to you: would the benefit of the procedure outweigh the risk?

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon! For future questions you may contact me at this web site: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-frye/