Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I am newly diagnosed with lupus. I was recently told to stop

Customer Question

I am newly diagnosed with lupus. I was recently told to stop prednisone pending diagnosis. Today is day 13 without them after 3 months of 5mg daily. It has been the worst day yet. I went to my rheumatologist she gave me steroids and toradol injections and prescription for plaquenil and prednisone 10mg. It helped for about 4 hours but my lower arms/hands/thighs/feet are killing me again. Should I go to the hospital?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 19 days ago.

The prednisone and plaquenil may take a couple days to begin making you feel comfortable again. If you are in a lot of pain now, you should return for another injection, which should last at least as long as the last one. A higher dose would likely last longer and give the oral meds more time to kick in.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
What are the best home relief with lupus arthritis? Heat or Cold? My hands are weakened and feel like they are heavy almost like when they fall asleep - is that normal?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 19 days ago.

That could be the effect of the prednisone withdrawal or the disease process flaring up, possibly both. If you can't get in for another injection, you should use cool compresses on the joints that are painful or swollen. Keep the hands elevated above the heart if possible to reduce swelling and crowding of the nerves. You should also call your doctor's office and ask if you could increase the prednisone dose for a few days to increase its effectiveness, at least until the plaquenil begins to kick in and the disease process settles down.