Dr. Scott, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
96592888

I am questioning changing from amoxicillin to augmenting for

Customer Question

Hi, I am questioning changing from amoxicillin to augmenting for a sinus infection after ne effect on amoxicillin in 5 days. It was recommended. Wondering if I can just get the clauv (sp) part and if this is safe? Thank you.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: No breathing difficulties. Lots of mucus drainage and headache. Started with sore throat, test for bacteria was negative but then all this drainage started. No antibiotics at first until 5 days ago - so it has been about 10 days. Sore throat not because of all the mucus.OTC meds are laughable.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am healthy. - Nothing. Never had a sinus infection before.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age & gender?

Since how many days are you having sinusitis symptoms?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 months ago.

Clavulanate is a beta-lactamase inhibitor that has almost no intrinsic antibacterial activity. However, when combined with other antibiotics, it has a synergistic effect that can increase the antibiotic coverage and overall results. Therefore, you can not just take clavulanate by its self because it has no antibiotic effects. You combined with an additional antibiotic, it enhances the spectrum of activity against many, but not all bacteria. So if amoxicillin did not work, then you should add clavulanate to increase your antibiotic coverage.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

If I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to rate my service.

Thank you!

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. Rebich" in the medicine categories if you have other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com