Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Can you write prescriptions? I don't take any and Im not

Customer Question

Hi can you write prescriptions?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I don't take any and Im not allergic to anything
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a history of anxiety and panic attacks, for about a year I've had a hyperextended spine I've been going to PT and a chiropractor for pain management.
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and your question about prescriptions. While we can't prescribe medications through this website, there are many times we can advise you on medications which you can buy, at prescription strengths, from over the counter options.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

If you'd like to continue, I'm happy to inquire more about your concern. If you'd rather I ask for a refund for you, that's fine too. How would you like to proceed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well if I went to my doctor (or got it over the counter) (who is currently out of town which is why I'm looking online) and talked to him about my sleep deprivation, loss of appetite, stress, and panic attacks, do you think he would prescribe me xanax?
Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

You're asking me about what your doctor would do?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm asking if thats likely to happen, if my understanding of the drug is correct?
Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

oh. I see. xanax is sometimes a treatment for panic attacks... but not a first line treatment for the other symptoms you've described. I imagine that if your doctor is one who provides care in an evidence-based manner, he/she will hopefully offer you several options. There are many possibilities that encompass those symptoms.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

xanax is a pretty addictive, and potentially dangerous medication, though. it's not really a good option, if you have a long-term perspective.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is it mainly used for then?
Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

it WAS used much more before the long-term effects were really well known or understood. It is sometimes used for intractable anxiety, or anxiety that doesn't fails to resolve with better first line meds.