Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

What makes you jump in your sleep?

Customer Question

What makes you jump in your sleep?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and question - Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

It seems that you're not able to chat at the moment - certainly not a problem. I’ll convert the chat session to a Question & Answer session. That way, we can both continue to post questions/comments/answers, without time restrictions, until you feel satisfied with the information you’ve received.

Feel free to click "reply" to post answers and more questions at any time. When you click “ reply” and type out your comment/question, I will be notified to come back and answer. You are not charged more than the initial deposit, no matter how long it takes for us to chat, so this will just take the time restrictions away for both of us. When you feel satisfied that I have addressed your concern completely, you can then press "accept" and rate the answer so that I may be compensated for the time.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for the introduction. Could you response to my question?
Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

of course!

Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

Jumping in sleep can be caused several possibilities. When we're dreaming, the body sometimes is immobile, paralyzed, and during some stages of sleep, not paralyzed. If someone has a dream where they are jumping, or kicking something, or responding to a stimulus in a dream (someone kicking a ball toward you), it's certainly possible that a dream could cause someone to jump. If unrelated to dreams, there is a condition called "restless leg syndrome" which effects people while they're sleeping. It is not usually "jumping" per se, but I suppose it would be helpful to have a doctor rule out restless leg syndrome if the jumping is continuous or bothersome in a regular, consistent way.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I clarify, or address any other related questions for you today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It is not restless leg syndrome , because I had two knee replacement. I do dream, but I don't jump. One night I jump so much I thought I was going to have a panic attack.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

wow! that sounds like a lot! If not restless leg syndrome, and not dreaming, what else are you suspecting?