Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a 74-year-old woman with afib for the past 15 or so

I am a 74-year-old woman with afib for the past 15 or so years I have not had any trouble with it since I was diagnosed. At that time they prescribed metoprolol XR and no blood thinner other than a baby aspirin. I was under o lot of stress at the time and was told by my doctor that that
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Other than diabetes and hypertension that has been well controlled for that past year or so, my health has been quite good.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: When I was sent to the ER because of my elevated heart rate a few days ago, they also diagnosed me with a UTI. What I really want to know is this "Can a UTI in a woman my age trigger afib. I should also tell you that I lost my husband of 52 years about a month ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I understand your concern. Yes UTI can trigger fib. Infection increases stress on your heart and heart tends to beat faster than usual. This can trigger atrial fibrillation sometimes. This can be temporary. However, metoprolol should be continued to control your heart rate and prevent heart failure.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/