drcaplan
drcaplan, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have specialized in common problems for men, women, children, and the elderly.
72350808

How does xanax stay in your system? Does it depend on how

Customer Question

How long does xanax stay in your system? Does it depend on how much you take?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I had been on methadone for chronic scoliosis pain but under his care we have been weaning off since last April. This is my last week and I'm down to a half of 5mg per day. Stopping completely in a a day or two. I have had much trouble with stomach cramps and nausea. Doc has given me many red to try but none work. I took two 2mg yesterday. Urine test on 29th
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: urine on 29th. Am I ok to take more today with out showing?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No I am completely open with him except he said he could give canax because I was on the methadone - I used to be on 30mg daily back in April when I decided enough was enough
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

In adults: the half life of the medicine (time it takes 1/2 to disappear) is 11.2 hours (Immediate release range: 6.3 to 26.9 hours; Extended release range: 10.7 to 15.8 hours); Orally-disintegrating tablet: Mean: 12.5 hours (range: 7.9 to 19.2 hours). Typically, 4 half lifes is the accepted number for one to assume that the medicine is nearly indetectable

Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

There is some variation with these factors as well, as you can see:

Alcoholic liver disease: half life = 19.7 hours (range: 5.8 to 65.3 hours)

Obesity: half life =21.8 hours (range: 9.9 to 40.4 hours)

Elderly: half life = 16.3 hours (range: 9 to 26.9 hours)

Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

so, as long as you haven't taken any within 2 full days, 48 hours, of testing, and you don't have any of the other lengthening characteristics as above, it is not expected to appear in your urine.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I clarify, or address any other related questions for you today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much. I am trying to be drug free with docs help but he said he was not allowed to give me xanax because of methadone. Last night was the first night in months that I slept thru and did not awake with horrible nausea and cramps. You are a blessing.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 16 days ago.

oh, you're too kind! glad to be helpful.

If you would, please click on EXCELLENT with 5 stars. My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and believe it or not, we doctors don't get compensated at all if the responses are not rated with outstanding scores by our patients like you. Any other ratings suggest something was wrong and the doctor has not tried to offer you a chance for improvements.

If you have any follow up questions, I hope you’ll please save my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

Thank you! Hopefully, I would love to hear how things go for you.