Scott Rebich
Scott Rebich, Doctor
Experience:  Resident physician
96592888

I had a recent xray of my ankle where I had ankle

Customer Question

I had a recent xray of my ankle where I had ankle reconstruction surgery consisting insertion of a plate with seven screws to hold everything together in 1997. In my xray there was a screw on top of the plate that in my opinion, had came out. My doctor said he consulted with an orthopedist who told him "the screw was placed there". Can this be true?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 18 days ago.

Why did you have the x-ray? Were you having pain/discomfort?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have been periodically suffering from gout. My big toe was hurting and was swollen as well as inside portion of my ankle and foot so they xrayed everything. When the tech. completed the job I asked to see the xrays and showed them to me without comment. It was they that I notice the screw from my plate "loose".
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Are you still there, Doctor?

Unfortunately, it is going to be hard to find an orthopedic surgeon that will want to remove the screws because it has been stable since 1997. Removing the screws can weaken the bone and cause many complications down the road such as infections and higher risk of fractures.

Can you feel the screws through your skin?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I agree that the ankle is stable and do not wish for another surgery if the screw that has come out will not damage my health. I cannot feel the screw (s). It was just a shock to see the screw on outside of the surgical plate and was worried about possible dangers if that makes sense? Thank you.
that makes sense. What I would recommend is that if it comes to the point that you can feel the screw through your skin then you should be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon. Ultimately, the risk of surgery significantly outweighs the benefit.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks very much, Doctor.Have a good evening.Dave

If I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to rate my services.

Thanks!

Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 17 days ago.

If I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to Rate my service.

Thank you!

Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 15 days ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions please.

If not, please rate my services.

Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 12 days ago.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. Rebich" in the medicine categories if you have other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com