Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have water leaking on my leg,I had scraped my when this

Customer Question

i have water leaking on my leg,I had scraped my when this started.Do I nee to see a doctor?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Yes there is swelling
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had blood clots in 2009 and yesterday I was on my feet more than usual.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask is the water coming from one leg or both? Also do you have any pain in the legs when you walk? What is your age? Is there any redness in the legs or prominent veins?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

The first thing which comes to mind after hearing your symptoms is that you could have developed peripheral vascular disease. This is a condition in which the blood vessels of the legs can be affected. There are two types of this disease, one involves the arteries while the other involves the veins. If you have prominent veins in the legs or have no pain then it is likely to be due to the veins of the legs being affected. This can cause the sort of swelling which you are experiencing and would worsen on exertion. This would be diagnosed on a doppler ultrasound and then treated with compression stockings, elevation of the legs as well as surgery in some cases. The second type which involves the arteries, would cause pain, numbness, tingling, swelling and cold temperature in the legs. This would cause pain which worsens on walking. Again a doppler ultrasound would be diagnostic here and the treatment would be with various medications and if needed stents can be placed.

Now another cause of these symptoms can be related to systemic diseases like renal problems which can cause fluid to accumulate in the legs. It would usually also cause decreased urine output or fatigue or loss of appetite. Blood tests would be able to diagnose the problem alongwith a renal ultrasound. The treatment is with drugs like diuretics which increase the urine output and decrease the swelling in early stages. Another cause can be related to the liver which can be affected. It can cause accumulation of fluids in the legs and would be diagnosed on liver function tests as well as an abdominal ultrasound. The treatment would again involve various drugs.

There are other causes as well which can include a localized infection in the legs as you have mentioned that this started hen you scraped your leg. This would be evident with swelling, redness and pain in some cases however in low grade infections it is possible that other symptoms are not present. Again an ultrasound of the leg would diagnose the problem.

In short you DO need to see your doctor as fluid coming from the legs is concerning and is usually an indication of an underlying problem which has to be treated as soon as possible. I would suggest that you DO visit your doctor ASAP and have him look into the above possibilities.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
one leg,no pain,age 75,a little redness

Then it is likely to be due to an infection since there is redness with swelling in the area. This would be the first thing i would think of and in addition the second and third possibilities would be a problem with the arteries or veins in the legs. But i think an ultrasound of the leg would be able to determine if there is a problem in the vessels or not. I would recommend that you keep the leg elevated but DO see your doctor asap.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating