Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was wondering how to know if you have and how to treat

Customer Question

I was wondering how to know if you have and how to treat phimosis
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no and none
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The usual cause of phimosis is from scarring of the foreskin, and the usual treatment for phimosis is surgical excision of the foreskin, also called a circumcision. If there is another condition present that is causing infection, inflammation, or swelling of the foreskin, the doctor may try to treat that condition first. An infection of the foreskin can be bacterial or fungal, and treatment would need to be oriented towards the specific type of germ that is present. Inflammation would typically be treated with steroids.

If you have not yet seen a doctor, then it would be important for you to do so quickly. Phimosis is not an emergency, but a tight foreskin may get stuck down around the head of the penis, called paraphimosis, and if it cannot return to its normal position, it can interfere with blood flow to the head of the penis and become a surgical emergency.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

I have not heard back whether there is any additional informationthat would be helpful.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.