Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I'm a 47 year old male (5'11, 190 pounds, good health, no

Customer Question

I'm a 47 year old male (5'11, 190 pounds, good health, no health conditions) who has lived on carpeted floors all my life until moving into a wood floor apartment three and a half years ago. I've never had any foot problems, but about two months ago, I started noticing symptoms on both feet (mostly the right) that seemed to match plantar fasciitis - heels are sore when walking on the wood floor, and a little less sore when walking in shoes. The first thing I did was stop walking on my hardwood floors without shoes on. I tried icing the bottom and back of the heel, and that seemed to help well each time, but only for a day at the most.Then I bought several pairs of over the counter half-length orthotics, and that's when I started to have additional mild to moderate pain. I feel like the orthotics are causing additional pain in the ball of my feet, along the outer side of each foot, and around the ankle area. I've been wearing the orthotics for about three weeks. My question - should I stop wearing the cheap orthotics to resolve the additional pain they are causing, or should I keep wearing them in hopes that my feet will eventually get used to them? And is there any way to resolve the orthotics-caused pain faster?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Do you have swelling,tenderness on soles of feet?

Any medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What are your credentials - are you a licensed practicing "podiatrist"?
No, I don't have any noticeable swelling anywhere. Tenderness is only on the heels themselves, but only when walking, especially if I walk without shoes on. No tenderness on the ball or side of feet.
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 7 months ago.

Myself Doctor Anil- a board certified physician with more than 30 years of experience in medical field.

Thanks for all these additional information.
I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,possible causes may include Heel spurs,Plantar fasciitis,retrocalcaneal bursitis,gout.

You should avoid orthotics for a while as your pain is getting worse.

Take OTC Motrin.

Also do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment on affected area.

Physical therapy can be helpful.

You should see a podiatrist in person for a clinical examination and further MRI/X-ray can be done to rule out underlying possible cause.

Your doctor may advise you perfect orthotics for a particular pain.

Night splint can be advised.

Extracorporeal shock wave therapy and steroid injections can be given.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 7 months ago.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.