Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I haven, had a bowel movement in 7 days laxatives aren't

Customer Question

I haven
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: had a bowel movement in 7 days laxatives aren't working and suppository hasn't helped
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: perococet for kidney stones
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

Which laxatives and suppositories have you tried thus far?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dulcoax lacative tablets, cvs brand laxatigea and fleet glycerin suppositories
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just want to know if I need immediate medical attention or not
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello? If this is all the response I am going to receive this was of no use and a waste of my money

I am typing an answer to your question.

If you are only having constipation and no bowel movement for 7 days, then you do not need immediate medical attention. As long as you are not having significant abdominal pain or vomiting, then it does not require urgent attention.

There are a couple of options at this point. The usual next step for relief of constipation would be a cleansing enema, such as a Fleets enema.

I will post the remainder once it is complete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I apologize, I thought it was disconnected already. I do have some discomfort, more so in my back and hips, getting full quickly , no vomiting. I do suffer from IBS with constipation but usually I get relief with laxatives and I only take them when I am in pain from no bowel movements and I've never gone this long without one

If you would rather not do an enema, then a Dulcolax suppository may be more effective than a Dulcolax or a glycerine suppository. Miralax may also work better for long-term management, although it typically does not offer quick relief. increasing fiber intake is also important for constipation and for IBS, but also better for long-term management.

Regardless of which laxative is used, it is also helpful to be drinking plenty of fluids. When the body needs to hold onto water, it will absorb water in the colon, making stool harder. So assuring a high level of hydration will limit how much the colon absorbs water from the stool.

Percocet, like all opiates, are constipating. So if the kidney stones are a recent acute problem, the addition of Percocet may be the immediate cause for worsening constipation. However, once the kidney stones are passed or at least causing less symptoms, if you can limit the amount of Percocet being taken, that can help the constipation.

If there is some discomfort, it still would not require immediate medical attention. It would only be needed for significant pain or vomiting.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When does it become dangerous not having bowel movements?

There is no length of time. If everything backs up behind stool, then it will cause nausea and vomiting when it gets to a serious level. There also would be significant pain by that point. So, it is becoming serious and possibly dangerous when these symptoms develop, not at any particular number of days.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, thank you I will consider an enema next.

You are most welcome.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't get in to see the urologist until the 30th, they say I have stone hanging in my left kidney. Is it true that it shouldn't cause pain two different doctors said two different things

If it is high, close to the kidney, it will usually not cause pain. But as it starts to pass downstream, that is when it can start causing pain.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Have a good rest of the evening.

You too.