drcaplan
drcaplan, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have specialized in common problems for men, women, children, and the elderly.
72350808

I am a 44 year old Female. Ive had IBS for several years but

Customer Question

I am a 44 year old Female . Ive had IBS for several years but the constipation type. for the last seven days I have had very bad diarrhea every day , bad taste in my mouth and nauseous and I'm exhausted. I have no desire to eat, but I am hungry. I have been diagnosed with SIBO before, but didn't have these symptoms. That was about a year ago. Could it be a parasite?
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. I'm so sorry to hear about your diarrhea, and daily! That's so horrible. Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

have you traveled to places where there might be concern for a parasite?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no I have not traveled anywhere. I have had giardia before but it was about 15 years ago and I got it from my infected niece.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

I see. well, it would be odd for you to have a parasite then, but... there are still people who, for reasons that aren't always clear, have a mismatch of bacteria that live chronically in the GI tract, and require antibiotics for "flushing" or "resetting." Have you spoken with any doctors about the possibility of H pylori infection?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is a H Pylori Infection?, and no I haven't spoken to a dr about that.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just looked it up it doesn't look like that is something I would have. I live in a rural town, and don't know how I would have contracted it. My stools are watery and loose not tar looking
Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

I see. Good to know! Just trying to help think of some other possibilities while I have you here :)

Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

I think it's certainly been long enough that you could ask your doctor if she/he would be amenable to a trial of bacterial treatment for your symptoms.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 3 months ago.

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I clarify, or address any other related questions for you today?

If you would, please click on EXCELLENT with 5 stars. My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and believe it or not, we doctors don't get compensated at all if the responses are not rated with outstanding scores by our patients like you. Any other ratings suggest something was wrong and the doctor has not tried to offer you a chance for improvements.

If you have any follow up questions, I hope you’ll please save my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

Thank you! Hopefully, I would love to hear how things go for you.