Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My husband presents with what started as shoulder pain. It

Customer Question

My husband presents with what started as shoulder pain. It went into his neck and then down his arm. With rest, ice, and chiropractic adjustments the pain went away for a few days. He went back to today and is now in the same amount of pain he was in before the adjustments. I am concerned about a pancoast tumor. My question is would the pain from that go away completely with the adjustment and rest and then return?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I gave you the wrong email address.It's***@******.***
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 21 days ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

That is very unlikely. Pan coast tumor is a mass on upper part of the lungs causing pressure on the nerves. It typically causes narrowing of the eye pupil, lack of face sweating and drooping of eyelids. Not just upper arm and neck pain. The symptoms will not improve with chiropractic adjustment. Hence, your husband likely has cervical spine arthritis or herniated disc problem. He should get a MRI scan of the spine for further evaluation.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks for your response. He does not have the other symptoms you described. My main question was regarding the pain coming and going. Like I said yesterday it was at a 0 after resting all day and today it's a 5.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 21 days ago.

The recurrent pain is likely due to the compression of the nerves at the cervical spine root which can get worse with physical activities. He will need physical therapy for 6 to 8 weeks and also spine imaging ( MRI for example) as part of further management.
Best wishes

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok thanks again. What you are saying makes perfect sense. So to clarify pancoast tumor pain would not be alleviated for any length of time with a chiropractic adjustment.
That's my last question :)
Thanks
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 21 days ago.

That is correct. This is not pancoast.
Best wishes

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks again. Take care.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 21 days ago.

Very welcome