Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My symptoms are an inflammation of my left outside, sorry I

Customer Question

My symptoms are an inflammation of my left outside
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: sorry I was not finished with my symptoms. They are
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: back to the beginng. My symptoms are inflmation of my outside left leg mussel from my groin to above my knee and sharp mussel spasms in the base of my spine. Any idea what it means?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: the only thing that takes out the spasm in my spine is too exactly correct my posture. there is swelling of the entire length of my thigh muscle
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Can you tell me your age and gender?

Are you on any medication?

Any pins and needles or numbness along the thigh or the feet?

Any thing else that you would want to mention?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was not able to complete the statement of my symptoms. It was an inflammation of my thigh muscle from my groin to just above my knee on the outside muscle of my left leg and intense pain at the base of my spine. Also my height has diminished by an inch I am a very young 69 year old woman and have not seen a doctor about this
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Alright, do you often suffer from lower back pain or was this the first occurrence?

If you cough or sneeze, does that cause a sharp pain to radiate from the lower back to the thigh?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am on 3 blood pressure medications and an antidepressants and Gabapentin
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not suffer from chronic low back pain
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when I sneeze or cough the pain goes through the inflamed muscle area
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still with me dr.?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

The symptoms you mention are usually seen in stenosis of the foramina of the spinal cord. This usually happens due to weakening of the bones due to menopause. The process is known as osteoporosis. Radiation of the pain with cough or when one sneezes further points in this direction meaning there is some degree of intervertebral disc prolapse also. At this stage, I would advise, that you start on an anti inflammatory pain killer like Aleve 500 mg twice a day, massage the lower back four times a day with Ibuprofen liquigel, take a hot bath in the tub for 15 mins every night, and use a flat hard mattress (no spring mattress) to sleep on. Avoid bending and lifting heavy objects and wear a back brace which you can get from the CVS or Walgreens nearby. Hot water bottle kept at the lower back at night and during the day will also be beneficial.

I would also advise that you see your PCP and seek a referral to a Neurologist. An x ray of the lumbosacral spine two view should be done and further on an MRI can be done if any positive findings are seen on the x rays and clinical examination.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.