Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have been experiencing painful intercourse since my

Customer Question

Good morning,
I have been experiencing painful intercourse since my hysterectomy and now I am unable to have an intercourse at all. My vagina is swollen with lumps, itchy and almost closed all together. I have to go the bathroom about 3 times every night. What do you think my problem is and is there something that can be done to help me and my husband have a normal sexual life? Please help.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: It seems worse when I wipe after urinating
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have been taking Prometrium hormones since my hysterectomy if this helps?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

These symptoms are very unfortunate. They are due to the lack of estrogen affecting the vaginal lining. Urination also can get affect due to the poor bladder support from shrinking of the pelvic muscles. The best option will be to start you on estrogen treatment. Vagifem vaginal tablets can be tried daily after discussing with your gynecologist. Your symptoms should improve in 4 to 6 weeks after starting estrogen replacement therapy.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/