Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Yesterday i was bending over to tie my shoe and had a very

Customer Question

yesterday i was bending over to tie my shoe and had a very deep sharp pain on my right upper lung /chest area. It felt like someone had stabbed me.
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: About 2 months ago I was diagnosed with COPD though I have never smoked. I already have had symptoms of shortness of breath and heaviness, but not the sharp pain.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know? Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: About 2 months ago I was diagnosed with COPD according to one pulmonary dr. I have never smoked in my entire life. During the tests I had a cat scan and chest xray of my lungs and all were clear.. I have shortness of breath and heaviness. but this now sharp feeling like someone has stabbed me is painful and concerning
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 17 days ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 17 days ago.

Although I can try to address your question thoroughly, if you have immediate medical concerns, or feel like there is something urgently wrong, it is important to consult a doctor/nurse practitioner/physician's assistant, in person. There are aspects of your experience, features of the history you're telling me and some things that are left out (even unknowingly), and certainly features of a physical exam of your body that can't translate over this type of online communication. Unfortunately, because of the nature of this type of chat, some important concerns could be easily missed, and I could unwillingly get the wrong impression from you, or give you information based on incomplete information.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 17 days ago.

I am a bit concerned that you may have inadvertently caused damage to either your ribcage or your lung. Have you had any trouble breathing?