Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have a moderate allergy to bone cement and nickel. My

Customer Question

I have a moderate allergy to bone cement and nickel. My Physician decided to do a nickel free prosthetic with bone cement, since it was a moderate contact dermatitis. The problem is the test was done 3 weeks out of a course of prednisone . Could my test results have been suppressed with regards ***** ***** bone cement. I was very reactive to the nickel. Currently, I am 12 weeks post op, my swelling and stiffness has decreased but I still have skin sensitivity without a rash. I have never been able to walk without pain and after walking 10 minutes I get a tourniquet effect around my knee. My physician is surprised by my persistent . I had little to no pain walking prior to my LTKA. My question is is could this pain be the result of a bone cement allergy or is 12 weeks post op pain with walking part of the healing process?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: No skin changes to speak of. I have worn acrylic nails in the past with no reaction. I still have some skin sensitivity on the inner medial side. It seems to be resolving very slowly although one evening last week I had such a severe case of itching I actually caused some brushing which is only now resolving.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had a cyst removed on my lumbar spine that caused 18 months of sciatic pain but since it was aspirated 10 months ago I have had no further problems. Also, in the opposite leg I have a leg-length discrepancy to which I wear a 3/4 inch lift in my shoe. I am no exactly sure of the exact length of the discrepancy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Your symptoms are more likely due to post operative pain than sensitivity to nickel. Since your itching and skin sensitivity is resolving; these symptoms in all likelihood not due to allergy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.