Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have just under my lower right rib cage mild pain when

Customer Question

Hi, I have just under my lower right rib cage mild pain when breathing more of a pressure or tension and sometimes when i move in a certain way. other symptoms are I thought i had bronchitis since ive had it a dozen times before. this has lasted over a month coughing up yellow to clear flem from lungs with brown specals.. Since i am a smoker and every year I got bronchitis it was always that color, but now it is lasing almost 6 weeks before most 2-3 and now the pain.. I cough hard and long some mornings so wondering if i pulled or strained something by ribs or if it could be something severe
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: cough about 6+ weeks, pain under/next to rib cage about 1-2weeks..no other symptoms, I think in the first week i got the cough i might have had a fever. i was getting hot one min and cold the next, that lasted a day maybe two
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I drink alot
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of “New onset pain in the lower right rib cage area” you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are having pain under/next to rib cage on the right side fir about 1-2weeks

You are also having cough for about 6+ weeks

And I see you cough hard and long some mornings and this indeed raises the possibility of pulling or straining muscle in the rib cage on the right side and this may explain the pain

The pain is more when you are breathing and moving etc which also implies this is most likely some kind of external musculoskeletal pain and this may be due to muscle injury in the rib cage due to hard and prolonged breathing

While this is the most likely explanation however since this pain is still persisting it is better to get this examined in the clinic. Also you may undergo some chest related investigations, like a chest x ray and any other investigations as necessary to explore any other possibilities. You have been coughing now for many weeks and this appears to be due to bronchitis but this attack appears more prolonged compared to your previous attacks so this also needs further investigated. You are also having change in color of the phlegm and this may imply infection of the respiratory tract/bronchitis and if you have not started any antibiotic then it is recommended now to consider starting an antibiotic too

It is better if you could see your doctor in the clinic so that you can receive a thorough clinical examination followed by a chest x ray, and any other investigations as necessary and this will help in ascertaining the cause for this persistent right lower rib cage area pain and also evaluation for the persistent cough and discoloured phlegm and then treated appropriately, however I once again reassure you the pain in the right lower rib cage area does not appear to be due to any serious problem and it is most likely related to pulling or straining muscle in the rib cage area due to hard and prolonged breathing, while this now needs to be investigated since this is persisting for few weeks already, but most likely this is not due to any serious underlying illnesses.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Customer/p>

Hi, Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss your health situation further. And please do not forget to click a positive rating for my services to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too and I will be very glad to continue helping you as long as you need my services.

Best regards,

Customer/p>